Pattern Club

The Grainline Hadley Top
in 5 different versions!

Blog / 5 October 2017

Having simple but classic, easy to wear everyday garments are a great addition to your collection if your building up to a full handmade wardrobe. I think it's always nice when you find a pattern that can look really different in different fabrics too - then you get a bit more longevity out of a pattern. 

In this post I want to show you just how different the same pattern can look - and its all about the new Grainline Hadley top pattern.

Every few months, the g&g team and I get together to chat all about a recent make that uses a pattern and fabric we have in the shop. It means we are totally clued up when we come to give advice to our lovely customers like you! 

So here we have 5 totally different tops, on different shapes and sizes, in different fabric....but all using the same pattern!

I made a combo between the two versions. Version A has a jewel neck, a pleat at the back neckline, and bracelet lengths sleeves. View B is sleeveless and features a soft v-neck. Both are subtly geometric as the have centre seams in the front and back as well as a wide hem. 

As the bodice pattern pieces are totally different, I traced the higher jewel neck bodice as that's the one that goes with the sleeves, and then I laid it over the soft v-neck one and used it as a guide to draw in a new neckline. It did mean I had to make my own facing for the front bodice though. 

I made a straight up size four and after laying my pattern pieces on the fabric, I thought I could get away with 1.3m. In the end it was only just enough and that was with shortening the sleeves by about 1.5 inches to fit them on! So they probably are a tad to short, but I quite often push my sleeves up anyway. I also put a self fabric bias strip around the sleeve hem which helped me keep it as long as possible! 

I really love the fabric, its the Atelier Brunette Graphite Blue cotton double gauze, and I like the longer sleeves too, but the neckline has ended up quite a bit lower than I had imagined and wanted. I think I might have to get a nice new light weight cami to wear underneath! 

Next up is Elizabeth and she used our Geometric peach print viscose to make version B. She made a size 4 as well and managed to get it out of 90cm. She lowered the bust dart by 1" and raised the V of the neckline by 2". She also cut the back bodice on the fold and felt that an all in one facing for the neckline and arm holes would be better next time. 

Claire went for version A and used our lovely Atelier Brunette Lilli modal fabric (we've got more of this coming soon!) which has a gorgeous drape. She made a size 6 and didn't make any changes to the pattern, but normally she does lengthen the bodice and the sleeves - but this time didn't need to. 

She inserted the sleeve in the flat as well as the facing at the sleeve cuff and next time would lower the underarm curve a little. 

I love the ribbon she's added at the centre back neckline instead of the hook and eye. It look great with this fabric!

Meg went for a sleeveless version A and used our Brussels washer yarn dyed fabric (give the shop a ring if you fancy this exact one, but I've linked to something similar below). She made a size 0 and managed to squeeze it out of 80cm of fabric, including an all in one neckline and arm hole facing. She also left the interfacing of the facings.

Next time, if using the same fabric, she thinks she's probably just do a catch stitch hem rather than the hem facing. 

I love the little embroidered leaves - they really pop out when you make something with a plainer fabric! 

Jo's version is really different but I think it's a great example of how the same pattern can be used with so many different fabrics! She made version A in our silver lightweight wool fabric and lined it with black anti static lining. She managed to use just 1.1m of fabric but then only had the hem facing, not the neck and sleeve hem ones. 

She made a few changes to the pattern which she made in a size 10....3/4 sleeves, removed the split to cut the back bodice on the fold but left the pleat in and raised the bust darts by 1cm. The lining and main fabric are attached at the neckline and finished off with some black bias binding. 

Next time she thinks she'd make a smaller size to take some of the fullness from the centre front and alter the dart positioning a bit more. 

I think it looks awesome Jo and will keep you nice and cosy too! 

Comments