We recently starting stocking the paper version of the lovely Poppy and Jazz childrens patterns, so when they arrived in store at the same time as a gorgeous selection of new novelty and kids jerseys and sweatshirtings I was all set to make my baby Solly, who recently turned one a new little handmade wardrobe!
I used the Birch trousers pattern with some of this super cute cotton French terry fabric. It's a lovely comfy basic with elasticated cuffs, which I used the same fabric for and some of our off white ribbing fabric for the waistband - just for a bit of contrast. You could easily just used the same as the main fabric for that too.
The pattern recommended button holes in the waistband for where the drawstring cord comes out but instead I decided to put eyelets in! I think it gives a lovely finish and in this short video I show you how I went about inserting them with the Prym Vario pliers and how I stabilised the fabric to prevent it stretching out.
You can check out my dedicated post all about using the Prym Vario pliers for a more in-depth guide and instruction on how and when to use them - linked here.
I also added these neat little Kylie and the Machine Labels too, which I think just finish them off! I used an overlocker to sew all the seams but you could also easily sew this project (in fact any of the projects in this blog post!) on a regular sewing machine with either a specific stretch stitch if you have one, or if not just a long and narrow zig zag stitch.
The Elm t-shirt pattern is a great basic and I know I'll make more of these for sure! There are sleeve options and neckband options too. I used some jersey snaps at the shoulder seam and added an extra one on at the neckband to help it sit a bit flatter. Just remember to interface that little section of the neckband to make the snap fastening more durable.
Next up I used the Strawberry sweatshirt pattern with some of this super soft and snuggle fleeced back sweat shirting that comes in a few colour ways. I also added on some of the prym colour snaps at the shoulder seam as I like lots of room to get clothes on and off the baby super easily. This isn't part of the pattern but I just copied the way its done in the Elm t-shirt pattern.
Finally, and possibly the cutest one of all, the Dandelion dungarees! This is such a lovely pattern and they are reversible too! I used some of our plain french terry with the airplane jersey which is so, so soft to the touch. I used the Prym colour snaps for the closure at the straps.
The only change I made in the construction of this one was instead of leaving a hole in the gusset to turn it all through the right way, I left both hems un-stitched, then turned everything the right way, and finally pressed up the raw edges and top-stitched the hems.