The Great British Sewing Bee - Episode Two - The missing details

Phew! What an episode that was! Watching how we all got on, brought back how tense it was at the tiime.

My stomach was a bag of knots when they said we had to make mens trousers - gulp! I had never made any trousers before - never mind a fly!

Hence lots of confusion....I must have looked at my own zipper a hundred times, trying to reverse the way it was because I was wearing a womans fly right?....blissfully unaware my chinos (from the womens department - honest!) actually had a man's fly - gutted! And I had no idea until all the trousered legs were all lined up at the end and I spotted the difference, that I was the odd one out!

Figuring out what leg went in what was no easy task either....que concentration face with tounge sticking out!

We all had such a giggle about the fly zippers...some peoples looked too funny, close up, especially in that...ahem..personal area!

The pocket challenge was literally like a frenzy! I'm surprised I didn't sew my fingers into those pockets I was sewing so fast! Patricks one liners seemed to really catch on too...

'If in doubt, flower it out!' Couldn't agree more, it was my default in the panic of a 60 minute challenge!

'Oh that's a lovely pocket!' Thanks P! ;)

Garment of the week and star of the show though - Stuarts tulips!! What an amazing and different idea! His fantastic appliqué skills shining through there....

Lastly, the blouse challenge! Gees-oh, bloomin-eck! That. Was. Tough!

The silk twill that I was using actually had a life of its own, and I completely over egged the sizing and made it huge-mungous for my lovely model. From bust squashing last week to plenty of bust ventilation this week. I had to readjust so many seams - complete nightmare! Totally ran out of time, so much so that I didn't get the chance to make my little belt which was part of the original plan and I was gutted I didn't have time left to do it.

So..here is my practice blouse...as it should have been with my little contrasting belt to break things up a bit.

It is really easy to make...check out this tutorial to see how I did it.

I even planned to make matching binding to neaten off the seams on the inside - this fabric frayed quite a bit. Again my efforts were limited to the practice blouse - ah well, all the more comforting for me to wear!

A lot of you caught the tear at the end of the clips for next weeks episode....it was very emotional, that's all I'm saying!

More posts

Sewing projects

Dressmaking projects for Autumn/Winter

with warm cosy fabric

New Fabrics

September New Fabric Arrivals

Get inspired for new season makes!