April Makes from the g&g Pattern Club

The team have been busy stitching up lovely new projects

The g&g team are always busy with sewing and dressmaking projects on the go - easily done when you are surrounded by fabric all day and get to see what our creative customers have ordered for their own projects!

So every few months or so, we spend a bit longer at our monthly team meeting to each have a chat about a project that we've been working on. It's a great way to learn more about the patterns and see how garments look made up in real life!

So here is our round up of what we've been making recently!

Lesleys Nina Lee Kew Dress

Lesley used this beautiful Eglatine et Zoe viscose twill to make her version of the Nina Lee Kew Dress.

She found that the fabric requirements were spot on and the cutting layout was quite tight, so recommends not to scrimp on fabric amounts. She made a size 8 graded to 10 at the hips. It's pitched at a midi length, and normally Lesley said she would have to adjust the length to achieve a midi, but in this pattern she didn't, so if you are taller than average then you might want to consider lengthening the pattern to get the midi length.

She found the sleeve a little tight and that she wouldn't be able to add the ruffle in, so if you did want to add that feature then consider widening the hem of the sleeve.

She used some Prym forming tape around the neckline to help stabilise it and decided to insert the sleeves flat rather than in the round as it's a bit easier this way with slippery viscose.

Jos Rory Jumpsuit

Jo made a lovely classic jumpsuit using the True Bias Rory Jumpsuit (formally the Yari) and some of our black sorona linen. This pattern is pitched at an intermediate level and Jo found the instructions easy to follow and everything came together nicely.

She made a size 10 and found it less roomy than she thought it would be, so recommends choosing a size based on the hip measurement as it's most fitted there. She amended the pattern by taking 1.5" out of the body length, but felt next time she might take a bit more, she raised the pockets by 1.5" too and she also curved the shoulder seam to make it sit more rounded over the shoulder.

Her top tip would be to baste the panels before top stitching to check fit as it would be easier to amend and tweak the fit.

Helens Gilbert Blouse

Helen used the Helens Closet Gilbert blouse to make a super cute, vintage style garment with some of our printed viscose fabric.

The Gilbert is a relaxed, boxy fit and Helen opted for version A with the waist tie. She felt it came up bigger than she anticipated and would size down next time. She found the instructions really in-depth, with clear diagrams and that the burrito method for attaching the yoke was well explained.

Helen found that the ties were more tricky to finish off and would require more sewing confidence. She also recommends when top stitching the facing that you need to take extra care and pin more. Helen used forming tape around the neckline and found that the sleeves went in really easily.

The Gilbert Blouse is available as a pdf from the Helens Closet website. You can then make use of our A0 pattern service to have it printed. We are out of stock at the moment of the fabric she used by have lots of other gorgeous viscose prints that would be suitable - check them all out in this link.

Hannahs Calvin Wrap Top

Hannah used the True Bias Calvin pattern to make the wrap top version using some of our pacific blue embroidered daisy cotton gauze fabric. She found it easy to fit as it's a wrap, which only wraps at the front, style so is easily adjustable.

She used forming tape at the neckline to prevent it stretching out and instead of making self bias binding, she used the Atelier Brunette double gauze bias binding - about 3m in total, which I think gives a lovely contrast.

She found inserting the sliders that make the straps adjustable a little fiddly and would recommend lengthening the straps a little to make them more adjustable.

We are out of stock of the fabric Hannah used but we are expecting more soon. Please email info@guthrie-ghani.co.uk to be added to the wait list for it.

Laurens Linden Sweatshirt

I've made several Grainline Linden sweatshirts in the past but this was the first version I had made using some of our cuffing for the neckline, arm cuffs and hem band.

I made a size 4 (my measurements come up between a 4 and 6 on Grainline patterns) and made no adjustments to the neckline. I trimmed the 7cm cuffing down to size using the method I outlined in my blog post on cuffing, and I feel like it pulled the neckline in a bit, making it less wide.

I used the length of the pattern pieces to cut the cuffing for the hem, but when I first made it I felt like it was a bit baggy and I wanted it to grip to me hips more. So I just cut it off (as I'd overlocked it) then put the hem band around my waist and pinched it till it was gripping enough, sewed a new side seam then attached it to the bottom of the jumper again.

The animal print sweatshirting fabric that I used is due back in stock soon, please email info@guthrie-ghani.co.uk to be added to the waitlist and notified when it's back in stock.

More posts

Sewing projects

The g&g team Pattern review - October 2020

Check out what the team have been sewing this month!

Sewing projects

The g&g team pattern review June 2019

2 summery shirts, a cute woven tee and breezy wide legged trousers!