The g&g team Pattern review - October 2020

Check out what the team have been sewing this month!

I'm really excited to share with you this week what the g&g team have been sewing up recently as part of our regular staff pattern review!

Everyone who works here at g&g loves to sew their own clothes and I'm so proud of the teams knowledge of all the patterns and fabric we stock as it means we can share that with all of our lovely customers to help and inspire them.

We have been really busy over the past few months (thank you so much to everyone who has been ordering and supporting us!) so the girls have found it lovely to squeeze in a few hours of sewing.

Regular readers will also see that Hannah and Helen are new to the pattern reviews as it's the first one we have done since they both started earlier in the year. You can visit 'our team' page to find out more about the staff here and what their roles are.

Merchant and Mills Florence Blouse is Atelier Brunette viscose

I've been desperate to make something with this beautiful print from the new Atelier Brunette collection since it was released earlier in the year. So when we had the new Merchant and Mills Florence top and dress pattern arrive in the shop it seemed like the perfect pairing.

The Florence top is a cropped with a really full gathered peplum section and a nice button back detail to - so ideal for a fluid, light weight fabric like this viscose.

I used Prym forming tape interfacing to stabilise the bottom edges of the bodice rather than stay stitching and also used it around the neckline. I also used the ready made matching bias binding so didn't need to cut out a bias strip as directed in the pattern.

As its a really oversized style I decided to make a size 8, rather than the size 10 that my body measurements came up. The fit is pretty snug but I think its fine, just one to watch out for if you are between sizes and if you want less fullness then take in side seams on the size your body measurements come up as.

I also lowered the neckline by about 3/4" at the centre front but I think if I was making it again I'd probably slightly widen it as well - that's just my personal preference!

Papercut Array Blouse in Eglantine et Zoe Viscose

Jo used some of our Zoe et Eglantine viscose fabric to make her Papercut Patterns Array Blouse, which is a loose fitting top (also a dress option) with grown on sleeves and a long wrap around belt.

Size wise she found that it came up big for her so she shortened the sleeve by a few inches but next time she would size down, maybe even 2 sizes and alter the shape of the sleeve head to flatten it out.

It's a really versatile pattern as it can be suitable for light weight jerseys with viscose or tencel/modal that would drape really nicely in this style.

Closet Core Pattern Elodie Dress in a Floral Viscose

Helen was really taken by the new Elodie dress pattern from Closet Core patterns when it arrived in the shop not so long ago. It's a lovely floaty wrap dress with wide dolman style sleeves and pleats under the bust.

It's great for light to medium weight fabrics and Helen used some of our lovely Vintage Floral Spray viscose fabric (more due in stock soon!)

Helen used forming tape instead of stay stitching the neckline and the skirt sides as its cut on the bias. She found the fit came up true to size and added 1.5" onto the bodice length which is a standard pattern adjustment that she normally does.

She found it took her quite a bit of time to cut out as it's done on a single layer of fabric and adding all the forming tape and French seams also added time but was well worth it for a great finish on the project!

Friday Pattern Company Sagebrush Top in Atelier Brunette viscose

Hannah made the Friday Pattern Company Sagebrush top using some gorgeous Atelier Brunette Viscose fabric. It really suits this style of top with its bold and full puff sleeves.

She made a size small but did take it in at the side seams so thinks she would probably size down next time. Instead of the ruffle between the yoke and front bodice she added piping, which gives subtle definition to the seam. She also omitted the elastic around the sleeve hems leaving the sleeve loose and billowy.

True Bias Lander Pants in a chunky cotton corduroy

Lesley was keen to add a classic pair of Autumnal trousers to her handmade wardrobe using some of our lovely cord, so opted for a tried and tested pattern for her - the Truebias Lander Pants.

They are a high waisted trouser with wide cut legs, patch pockets and a button fly (there is a zip fly extension option as well!).

Despite the pattern calling for non-stretch fabrics and this fabric having some stretch, she found they still worked well but would recommend stay stitching the waist line while trying on so they don't stretch out too much. She also made sure she put extra interfacing in the waist band and used fray check on the buttonholes to help strengthen the fabric.

More posts

Sewing projects

The g&g team pattern review

February 2019 - Nenuphar kimono, Maritime top, Jarrah jumper and Etta Dress

Sewing projects

The g&g team pattern review June 2019

2 summery shirts, a cute woven tee and breezy wide legged trousers!