You will learn
- How to develop your skills further in using the Overlocker (thread and tension issues)
- How to develop your skills further in creating seams with the Overlocker
- How to develop your skills further in setting up and using the Overlocker for different finishes and stitches
- Different methods of sewing using the overlocker with the option of using a double needle on the sewing machine
This is an extension and development from our 'learn how to use an overlocker course'. We would recommend that you do the 'learn how to use an overlocker course' first so that this workshop is relevant to your skills and knowledge. Depending on your past level of experience and your choice of pattern, you may not completely finish the project in one day.
- 10% discount on supplies required for the workshop (fabric & notions)
- A mini fabric pack including samples of different fabrics for you to practice different stitches on.
- Use of all machines and sewing tools
- Overlocker cone threads in a variety of neutral colours
- A choice of either the Papercut "Coppelia" wraparound cardi, Tilly & The Buttons "Nora" sweatshirt, or the Cashmerette "Concord" T-shirt dressmaking patterns
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (Please bring a packed lunch or visit one of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena, for use on the day
You will need to bring
- Stretch/jersey fabric to make either the Papercut "Coppelia" wraparound cardi, Tilly & The Buttons "Nora" sweatshirt or the Cashmerette "Concord" T-shirt. Please get in touch regarding fabric quantities needed.
- Thread to match your fabric for top stitching the hem
- You are welcome to bring along your own Overlocker to the class if you wish but this is not essential
- If your overlocker is older than 1 year it must be PAT tested before hand which can be done by an electrician. This is essential for health and safety reasons as we don't have insurance without the PAT test. We are unable to do any repairs or servicing on sewing machines so please ensure if it is an old overlocker that is has been serviced before hand. Our local sewing machine shop in Kings Heath, Frank Nutt, is able to carry this out.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats! As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.
No dates available
Sorry there are no sessions planned in at the moment, but drop us an email.
We'll let you know about future dates.