You will learn
- How to mark and cut out your leather sections using pre-made templates
- How to create stitching holes in the leather and sole with a leather punch
- How to attach your leather uppers to the rubber soles by hand stitching with a running stitch and a cross stitch.
This class is suitable for those new to working with leather and sewing.
However, please note that the leather is a strong, firm material to work with and you will need good dexterity and hand strength to be able to handle the punch pliers and complete the hand sewing.
During the workshop we will aim to get all the holes punched in both soles and a good chunk of the hand sewing completed on one shoe. Depending on your skill level you will have to finish the other shoe at home with your needle and instruction sheet.
- A pair of Sneakerkit white rubber soles and leather topped insoles in your chosen size. Size range is 36.5, 37.5, 39, 40, 41.5, 43, 44.5. This a fixed uni-sex size range. It is very important to let us know the size you would like before the workshop. After booking we will send you a template of the sole so you can check what size will be most suitable for you.
- Waxed cotton thread
- A special long leather needle to take home and finish off your trainers as needed
- An additional pair of insoles to help cushion and protect the bottom of the outer insole
- A pair of white flat trainer laces (depending on your leather choice you may want to change these at home but this pair will mean you can start wearing you shoes right away!)
- A selection of leather in bright and neutral colours so you can have two tone trainers if you like. If you have a particular colour of leather in mind then you are welcome to bring along your own leather.
- Instruction sheet and templates in your chosen size
- Use of all top tools and equipment
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (please bring a packed lunch or visit one of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena, for use on the day
You will need to bring
All materials and tools are included but if you would like a particular colour of leather then we suggest sourcing some online or if you are local to Birmingham you can visit Manorside Fabrics in Redditch. They have a large warehouse of leather in lots of colours. The leather must be 2mm thick.
If you would like to purchase an additional pair of soles to make another pair at home, these will be priced at £42 and that will include the lower and upper sole, waxed cotton thread and an additional needle. Leather can be sourced separately from other suppliers as we currently don't stock leather to buy in the shop.
Lauren Guthrie and Layla Totah
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats!
As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.
Lauren, who is also the founder and owner of guthrie & ghani, has been sewing for most of her life after being taught by her dressmaker mother as a child. She loves to sew her own clothes and clothes for her baby daughter Sophia.