You will learn
- How to take your body measurements
- How to translate the measurements onto pattern paper
- How to draw out a bodice block and sleeve block from these
- How to make a toile from calico and check the fit
- How to translate any adaptations on the toile onto your bodice pattern
- How to draw out a skirt block
- How to manipulate your blocks to create new pattern
Level 6 - Advanced Dressmaker - To ensure this is the best workshop for you please click here for a full description of our workshop levels.
- Use of all sewing machines, overlockers, tools and equipment
- Dot and cross dressmakers pattern paper
- Calico fabric for making the toile
- Tea/coffee and biscuits
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena
You will need to bring
Just your lovely self and your favourite garment that you would like to replicate (time permitting)!
You may also like to bring along a camera and a notebook to document each step.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats!
As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.