You will learn
- How to correctly take your body measurements
- How to use your body measurements and preferences to adapt a commercial paper pattern
- How to adapt darts, princess seams, sleeves, necklines, dress lengths to get the perfect fit
- How to how to adapt a toile to get the perfect fit
- How to apply toile adaptions to your paper pattern
- How to add an invisible zipper to a dress
- 1.5m of calico (if you need a bigger piece please contact us before the workshop to arrange this)
- An invisible zip
- Use of all sewing machines, overlockers, tools and equipment
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (please bring a packed lunch or visit some of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena
You will need to bring
- A commercial pattern of your choice to adapt. We would recommend that you bring a fairly straight forward pattern to allow you to get the most out of the workshop (dresses with lots of bodice pieces or boning maybe too complicated to complete in the 6 hours). Please email us/ call/ pop into the shop to show us your pattern ahead off time so our tutor can prepare accordingly.
- During the workshop, you will be cutting into your original pattern so that the most amount of time can be spent making adaptions to it and sewing the muslin. If you would prefer to trace your pattern and keep the original, please do this before the class. This is not an essential step, just a personal preference.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats! As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.