You will learn
Depending on the garment choice
- How to construct the blazer/cape to your size and make simple fitting alterations
- How to work with fabric that has a stretch in it
- How to insert blazer facing
- How to line a cape
- How to set in sleeves
- How to get neat top stitching
Depending on your past level of experience and your choice of pattern, you may not completely finish the project during the session.
- 10% discount on supplies required for the workshop (fabric & notions)
- Your own copy of either the Newlook 6351 Misses' Jacket (sizes 10-22) or the Newlook 6324 Misses' Cape (sizes XS - XL)
- Use of all sewing machines, overlockers, tools and equipment
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (please bring a packed lunch or visit some of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena
You will need to bring
- Fabric -This will depend on the style that you choose and the size you are making, please get in touch with us for detailed advice. To allow more time to choose we recommend that you pick your fabric in advance but we can help you choose something from the shop on the day as well.
- Matching thread
- Depending on your style you will need interfacing, lining - again please get in touch and we can advice on this. All of these items will be available from the shop.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats!
As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.