You will learn
- How to thread the Overlocker and fix tension issues
- How to successfully sew a seam with the Overlocker
- How to set up and use the Overlocker for different finishes and stitches
- How to move the cutting blade so that the machine doesn’t cut the fabric as it stitches
- Different methods of sewing the neckband with the option of using a double needle on the sewing machine
- 10% discount on supplies required for the workshop (fabric & notions)
- A fabric pack including samples of different fabrics for you to practice different stitches on.
- A simple t-shirt top pattern in size small, medium, large or extra large (bust size 31” to 43”)
- Use of all machines and sewing tools
- Overlocker cone threads is a variety of neutral colours
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (Please bring a packed lunch or visit one of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena, for use on the day
You will need to bring
- 80cm of stretchy/jersey fabric for your simple t-shirt. This can be light-medium weight as the style is versatile for different weights of fabric
- Thread to match your fabric for top stitching the hem
- You are welcome to bring along your own Overlocker to the class if you wish but this is not essential
- If your overlocker is older than 1 year it must be PAT tested before hand which can be done by an electrician. This is essential for health and safety reasons as we don't have insurance without the PAT test. We are unable to do any repairs or servicing on sewing machines so please ensure if it is an old overlocker that is has been serviced before hand. Our local sewing machine shop in Kings Heath, Frank Nutt, is able to carry this out.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats!
As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.
No dates available
Sorry there are no sessions planned in at the moment, but drop us an email.
We'll let you know about future dates.