You will learn
Depending on which pattern you choose, you will learn:
- How to work with sequin fabric
- How to cut sequin fabric
- How to line a top
- How to set in a sleeve
- How to cut out lightweight fabric
- How to sew with lightweight fabric
- How to create a partial lining
- How to create a french seam
- How to create rouleau straps use a loop turner to create these
- Different hem techniques for lightweight fabrics
- How to use forming tape interfacing in place of stay stitching
- Your own copy of the pattern you choose
- Use of all tools, equipment and machines
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (please bring a packed lunch or you can visit one of the lovely local cafes)
- A special 15% off voucher for lunch at local cafe, Damascena, for use on the day
You will need to bring
The fabric, thread and notions needed to make your garment. This will depend on which pattern you choose and what size you make. Please get in touch and we can advise on this.
Layla has been teaching for over 15 years and sewing for 10 years. She started as a secondary school English teacher in London and later moved to Beirut, Lebanon where she set up a small school teaching sewing to ex pats and locals.
Since moving back to London Layla has taught sewing in many different studios around the country and to many different levels learners, however dressmaking is her expertise.
She sews almost all her own clothes and those of her husband but draws the line at her cats!
As well as sewing (pretty much all the time) she also teaches English at a secondary school and knits.