You will learn
Get to know a sewing machine
- The names of the different parts of the sewing machine
- How to wind the bobbin
- How to thread the machine
- How to adjust the tension
- How to change the stitches
- How to change the needle
Simple Cushion Cover
- How to navigate around a piece of fabric
- How to use a paper pattern/template and pin it onto your fabric
- How to accurately cut fabric
- How to press, hem and prepare your fabric for sewing
- How to sew simple seams
- How to finish off raw edges
- How to top stitch
Level 1 - no previous experience required
- A hand out with an illustrated 'map' of a sewing machine
- Glossary of key terms
- Trouble shooting questions
- Thread and materials pack for practising stitches and thread
- Your choice of fabric from our Clarke and Clarke selection of fabric which can be viewed by clicking here
- Use of all top of the range sewing tools, equipment and sewing machines
- A pattern/template to make more cushion covers at home
- An instruction sheet
- A cushion pad insert
- Tea/coffee and biscuits
You will need to bring
Nothing is needed for these classes - just your lovely self!
Charlotte is a fashion and textiles lecturer with experience of teaching a variety of levels and age groups. She graduated with a BA (hons) Fashion Design from Middlesex University London in 2014 and is currently studying a Masters in Textiles for Fashion in 2019 at Birmingham City University. She is interested in pattern making and garment construction and works freelance making bespoke clothing for clients and sample collections for small clothing companies. Charlotte believes that sewing and textiles should be accessible to everyone as it can contribute positively to wellbeing and confidence.
No dates available
Sorry there are no sessions planned in at the moment, but drop us an email.
We'll let you know about future dates.