You will learn
- How to take key body measurements and choose a size
- How to interpret pattern symbols and markings
- How to accurately cut out your fabric
- How to work with denim fabric
- How to sew decorative top stitching
- How to sew seams and finish off the inside edges
- How to attach a facing
- How to hem the dress
- How to sew optional patch pockets
- How to do button holes or attach jeans buttons depending on the variation you choose
- 20% discount on supplies required for the workshop (fabric & notions)
- 10% off any other fabrics purchased on the day of your course
- Your very own copy of the Tilly and the Buttons Cleo Dress Pattern (worth £12.50)
- Use of all machines, tools and equipment
- Tea/coffee and biscuits (please bring a packed lunch of visit one of the lovely local cafes)
You will need to bring
- 1.2 -1.9 meters of heavy or medium weight woven fabrics that hold their shape, such as denim, corduroy, cotton drill, gabardine, canvas, wool. Please get in touch if you have any questions about how much fabric to bring.
- Matching thread
- Contrasting or matching topstitching thread
- 0.4 meters of fusible medium weight iron on interfacing
- Dungaree buckles with jean buttons
(All of these items are available to buy in the shop either on the day or before hand).
When Dee's parents realised that she adored all things sewing related, they gave her an electric sewing machine for her 9th birthday and her first sewing teacher was her dear mum who just happened to be a seamstress.
Dee has had a lengthy career in the clothing industry working as a sample machinist, sample cutter, pattern drafter and bridal alteration specialist before she decided to become a mature student and study for a BSc in Clothing Management and Technology at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Valuable teaching experience was gained as a visiting tutor for BA fashion students at Birmingham City University. In 2017 she also taught in Haiti as the lead tutor for an oversees aid work charity (LVE Haiti) where she successfully set up a sewing school.
Hobbies include sewing her own tailored clothes, knitting baby cardigans, travelling to tropical destinations, shopping and going to the gym.